starting woes

evening all,

went to start the landy up yesterday and low and behold, nothing. When i turn the key the ignition lights are on but when i turn the key to start the engine all lights go off and nothing happens. I've got twin batteries on board and manually link them but its still the same. I presume its a faulty earth somewhere but should i look for anything else while im at it.

many thanks

If its like mine the main earth goes straight to the starter solenoid so I would start there, that is if you have power in the batteries. It does not take much to light the dash but it does to turn an engine.

• 1 month later...

Did you get this sorted, I have a similar issue on my series hybrid with a rover V8 fitted where the starter spins up all the time but the solenoid only kicks in 1 in 5 attempts, when it does it fires up and runs well. turn it off and I am back to spinning with no kicking in the solenoid again. I have checked everything, remo ved starter solenoid cleaned them out, re attached earth straps etc etc. I assume the negative is ok to the chassis as the engine wouldnt kick and the starter spin if it wasnt. I though solenoids either worked or didnt and not randomly kicked in.

thanks

Robert

Sound like your starter is not throwing out all the time, may not be spinning fast enough to throw or sticking, it would still spin but would not turn anything.

The only way to tell is remove it and try it on the floor, find some means of holding it down as it will jump as it spins