Secondary Caravan Electrics

Matt BADLRC

At some point I need to fit a secondary electric socket for the caravan to the disco. Am I right that there are wires already for the seconadry electrics near the round multi pin plug in the loom for the normal trailer electrics. If so will I need any additional split charge relays or anything? in order to be able to charge the caravan and run the fridge?

Because the Leisure battery and fridge in the caravan only require a max 20 amp constant feed a £12.00 voltage sensed split charge relay from Towsure will be more than adequate. You can take your live feed for the relay from the thick purple wire in the connector block. This is already fused at 20amps but for most twin electrics set ups a 15amp fuse is fine.

In the seven core to the caravan connect the black to earth as well as the white as some caravan manufacturers have used it for a separate earth.

Yellow to reversing lights. Brown (not required). Green to permanent live and red & blue to switched side of relay.

It's always worth using as heavy wire as possible as the fridge does take a fair current. I ran a couple of cables from the engine compartment and along the chassis rail on my D2 (fused and with relays of course).

The purple wire is more than heavy enough. The fridges used in Caravans 99% of the time are the three way absorbtion type. The 12volt heating element used is usually 85 to 125 watts, therefore it can only draw a maximum of 10 amps. Why go to the trouble of running additional cables when one is already provided.

I wish all cars had a towing loom fitted like all the LR range.

I used to fit Towbars for a living but now have relaxed into Caravan and Motorhome service.

Just to go over a point made in my previous reply. If your caravan is post 1999, it will need the black wire connected to earth for the fridge to work.

It is really up to you if you run additional cables. If you do, run them through the inside of the vehicle as you have to come back inside at some point anyway.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the split charge relays at Towsure. Its a 1998 caravan how can I tell which wiring method for earths are required.

Just connect the black to earth anyway, if it isn't wired that way on the caravan it won't matter as the white will be providing all the earths. All cars tow electrics are wired with the black to earth these days regardless of the age of caravan.

• 1 year later...

I'm I norwegian LR- owner (disco II) new to this forum. Thanks for good advise on caravan electronics! I'm currently trying to find out how to supply internal caravan charging, fridge power and lighting. My caravan is from 2008 and has a 13pin socket but the car has 7pin. I'm trying to find out if I should fix a 13 pin on the car (using an adaptor back to 7pin for ordinary trailer) or what. "Old hand" asked if there were wires ready for this near the socket on the car, are there?

Somewhere else (LR but not disco) I read that someone had found a "orange box" with split charge connections behind the access panel for rear lights (drivers side) Anything like this on the disco?

I'm I norwegian LR- owner (disco II) new to this forum. Thanks for good advise on caravan electronics! I'm currently trying to find out how to supply internal caravan charging, fridge power and lighting. My caravan is from 2008 and has a 13pin socket but the car has 7pin. I'm trying to find out if I should fix a 13 pin on the car (using an adaptor back to 7pin for ordinary trailer) or what.

Having suffered with 7 pin plugs for several years, I think it's definitely worth upgrading to 13 pin. You can get a simple plug-in converter to use with 7-pin trailers for a few quid.