1997 Discover 4.0 Idle problem - tried severl things so far...

cidermaker

Hello, Trying to figure out an idle problem with my fathers 97 Disco. Will not idle down below about 1400 rpm and up to 2500+ on start up - sometimes a bit less on cold start-up. Cleaned (and swapped with my 97) MAF sensor, replaced the stepper motor, cleaned(and swapped with my 97) throttle position sensor. I have check for vacuum leaks and other problems but can't get the idle to drop. There is not a service light on the dash. Any suggestions on what I should check out next? Trying to get this resolved as its needs to get its emission test done this week.......Thank you guys !!!

I'm guessing your Disco is running a Gems EFI system as part of its NAS spec.If it is then I would suggest it needs to have a relearn of its stored closed throttle position voltage.This can be done with Testbook or similar,Ebay scanners will not perform this function.

If the Gems ecu cannot see a voltage equal to or less than the stored voltage when the throttle is released it just assumes the car is still being driven with the throttle applied.This results in the IACV being held open to stop the engine from stalling when accepting PAS inputs etc when parking.