Welding gearbox mainshaft

o_teunico

Hi all,

I have been thinking on how to attack two LT230 transfer boxer to create a "crawler box" on a limited budget. Beeing an offset box I have seen that it will be nearly impossible with major chassis/body/suspension modification.

I will need a 4x2 transfer box that has input and output shafts aligned. There are plenty of them at scrapyards from Nissan, Mitsubishi L200, Toyota Hilux, Mazda B2500/Ford Ranger...Patrol main+tranfer are cheap, about 200/250 Eur.

Since it will be a nightmare to fit one of those between Land Rover´s main and transfer boxes, I thougth that I could fit to the Landy the entire main+transfer to the Tdi and then feed an LT230 from the 4x2 rear output.

It will be extremly easy to adapt any gearbox if I could weld an LT77 (clutch end) mainshaft to the scrap box. But how?

Bill said in other thread how to do it, but cannot locate it.

Final result will be something similar as Si´s twisting buggy with a Vitara+Samurai box combo.

Pb151632.jpgPb151634.jpg

Newer Ford Rangers came with a six speed box and TdCi engines. It´s the same Getrac GFT MT-82 as used in Defender and Transit?

I even had hot drams with a 200BHP 3.2TdCi six speed in a Disco...

According to some brazilian and argentinian forums, six speed manual box used in Ford Ranger is the same as used in Transit, Mustang and Defender. Low ratio is 2.72 and diff 3.3 to 1.

In USA the MT82 has reported lot of problems wen used with the 5.0 engine in Mustang. This box is rated to 380 lb/ft.

Have been searching at scrapyards and the Mitsubishi L200 box has the FWD output at the left side and will require no cutting when used with a right side offset LT230.