Oil pump question....

Hopefully this should be an easy one for you good folks.

3.9 rover v8 going into a kit car - I'm just putting the timing cover back together and a thought struck me......should the crank driven oil pump cover have a gasket?

I can't remember one coming off it when I took it to bits...but that was many sleeps ago!

Thank you mikec! That's the bit I'm talking about.

Second question.....I've just noticed there is an arrow stamped on the oil pump inner gear wheel....do I need to line this up with anything when putting the pump back together? There is nothing on the outer gear to line up with so I'm out of ideas!

I noticed that arrow on one of my pumps, but I think the replacement from turners didn't have it, but its a while so I may have forgot. One thing if its not a new pump, check for any tiny cracks in the outer ring. Two used ones I had had them, one had only done 15k too.

Thanks again mikec. By the sounds of it then I just ignore the arrow. It did make me wonder as there was nothing obvious to line it up with and also I couldn't see any reason why it would needed lining up!

I will check for the tiny cracks...hoping that they are obvious when I have look.

One of the cracks was hairline.

Maybe the arrow denotes which way round in the case it goes but I'm pretty sure when I spoke to turners it didn't matter which way it went in.

The first few times I put my new one in the case it wouldn't turn by hand there were some very slight burs.

Thanks again for your helpfulness, I knew this forum wouldn't let me down!!

Rover v8s are becoming fewer in the kit car world (lotus 7 replicas anyway) as bike-engines & zetecs have taken over however those who do have v8s in thier kits appear to only have the dizzy driven pumps because they are currently telling me i need a paper-thin gasket! I don't think they have grasped the fact this is a crank driven oil pump!!