3.9 efi 1996 not starting

Messenger

Hello,

I have just ended up with a project 3.9 after parting with my early V8 and I wonder if anyone can help out?

As the heading mentions, it does not start. It came like that.

The previous owner changed the engine and had it running for quite a while. It then coughed and died never to start again.

He replaced, leads,cap,arm,coil, plugs, earths and bypassed the inertia switch all to no avail.

There is no power at any time to the fuel pump and no pressure in the system. There is a spark.

The coil inputs are live and the wiring to the distributor has continuity. The amplifier is secured next to the coil and I am unsure what results to expect when testing it.

The oil pressure light fails to go out on cranking but the distributor is turning.

Two relays click when the ign is switched to on in the drivers footwell. One has a long delay and one quite short before off.

A spider bypass has been installed.

3.9 efi 1996 ES

Any help gratefully received:)

I would look at the fuel pump relays in the drivers side foot well, there should be power to the pump with the ignition on, that should explain the click in the foot well, but also check the fuse for the pump, and the terminal plug in the wiring loom under the rear left corner of the truck, there is a 3 pin connection there that can sometimes let moisture in and corrode the terminals.

if there is spark then it is not ignition but fuel related as there is often high pressure in the fuel rail even after the ignition is turned off, it may even be a faulty pump.

Thank you Nigel. I have power and clicking to the main and fuel pump relay but nothing across the fuel pump plug even when using a different earth.

I shall check the plug under the back and wiring from the relay /cut off/pump.

Will report my findings.....

Ok.

After some delving about. I have continuity from the inertia switch to the fuel pump.

Continuity from the incoming side of the switch to the inboard multi plug in the passenger footwell on the purple and white cable.

But between that connector and the inboard fusebox , relays or ecu I have nothing on any cables.

It seems there is a problem between the fusebox and the connector in the passenger footwell leading to the inertia switch.

Unless I gave got my circuits confused.