Leaking Sun roof

Richard Mills

Hi All,

To start the new year my disco 1 decided to leak water through the rear sunroof. I decided to do a proper repair rather than using silicone to glue it up. The Rave disc gives the instructions, but here's my story.

To remove the glass one needs to remove the headlining, it only took half an hour to get it out. There is one awkward screw right in the middle to watch out for, its behind the rear switch.

Next is the removal of the glass. Set the roof to tilt and there are 4 torx screws that can be accessed through holes provided in the tray for this purpose.

Next out was the tray. Now, my sunroof was leaking badly and it was not just the rubbers. There is a foam rubber seal to fix the frame to the roof, it was folded over in one corner, its obviously been leaking all its life. After a good clean up I glued it back in with silicone.

But for most people the fix will be easier. Tilt the glass and clean the surfaces well. Pull out the sealing rubber around the tray where the glass sits, and clean and polish it. Clean up the rim from where the rubber came and replace the rubber. Not forgetting to poke out the drain tubes which are only at the front of the tray. If the car is parked facing up hill the tray will not drain, so its vital to make the rubber seal properly and keep the water out of the mechanism tray. Mine always faces up hill. This should fix most leaks without taking the head lining out.

I also found that the fixings for the roof bars were leaking too so I removed them, cleaned up the fixing holes and the silicone fixed them too, they are only accessable with the head lining out!

My Disco is now dry again. Good luck with this kind of task. :)