disco 300 overheating probs

indoken

hi all

last week my disco overheated due to a water pump failure. fitted a new pump and has been fine.

until now that is. on my way home tonight the engine overheated again. i stopped and checked water, all there but i checked the thermo housing and it was dry, but as soon as i opened the expansion tank and started the engine the expansion level went down and the thermo housing filled up.

the problem is there was lots bubbles so i let it run to try to clear the air 15 liters of water later and still as bad.

could this be a problem with the head. it has had a new head gasket about 3 months ago.

puzzled

ken

Did you drive it with no water pump operating and if so for how far? Sounds to me as if you have warped your head.

Fill the cooling system up ( I described elsewhere hor to make a cheap 1/2" BSP fitting funnel to get rid of air locks and bubbles) once you have the system filled correctly check your header tank with the engine running at idle, if you are still seeing bubbles 99% of the time its either the head thats warped of the gasket has blown - my fingers are crossed for you that its just the gasket :o

Ken, dont forget to replace the abomination of the "P" gasket while you're at it - I hand make mine out of gasket material as I've never had any luck with the metal ones LR supply, they always leaked after a few 1000 kilometers even after I'd installed helicoils in the alloy head so that I could achieve the required torques on the bolts without fear of them ripping the original threads out. With the existing material gasket I've done well over 20,000 with no sign of leakage, now, if only I could say the same for the bloody Wabco Vac. :angry2: pump that leaks engine oil from the lower welsh plug I'd be a happy chappy.