replacing body mounting

sixtwoeight

Hi, just picked up an MOT failure disco 300tdi. Chassis is in very good clean condition, but inner and out sills have started to go at the rear of them, by the body mounting bracket.

I may have the wrong end of the stick but in order to get the mount out (once the bolt is undone/cut) surely the body needs to be raised? Or a hole cut in the floor? as the bolt passes down from the top.

I did a quick search but couldn't really find out.

Someone set me straight please....

Thanks in advance

It is a fiddle, but it is possible to replace the bolt from the top without having to lift the body. Keep everything as loose as possible until the bolt is more or less vertical and then draw it down with a nut as soon as you have a few threads showing.

:rofl: I replaced all of mine on the Disco before we went on our last Desert Odyssey, Max (our K4.5 he's 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 miniture Fox Terrier) went into hiding as my vocabulary deminished from the queens into the obscene and then well beyond, Juliie, my better half decided to go shopping --- knuckles were scuffed and spanners were known to take to the air, I'm not known for being temperate :moglite: .

Expect to have some interesting moments, but its certainly possible on a Disco so I'd guess, having looked at the underside of a few, that its easier on a Defender, If I were you I would plan to replace all the bolts and use new nylock nuts though as a course of action and use a graphite grease on the nylocks otherwise they can seize and be a bitch to replace/undo later.

Just a further tip, if you are going to replace one, replace them all.

Put the Disco up on two sets of ramps so you have room underside to manouvre. Allow a full weekend to do them all.

Remove all the nuts, if you have a hydraulic nut splitter great, if you are not able to borrow one I'd advise you buy one, it's a very handy tool to have, mine, is one of a set of three available from Irving Tools. The one I purchased goes from 10mm up to 17mm, the remaining two available in the set go from 15- 23mm and 17 to 32mm. The alternative is a small disc grinder with a fibre cutting blade or, worse - given the space available - a hacksaw. this is of course assuming that the nuts are badly corroded or you round them trying to undo them. Irving also sell a special set of "sockets" for removing worn nuts, you may want to consider buying a set.

Remove all the old bolts at the same time fitting the new rubbers, washers and new bolts. I found that a motorcycle tyre lever came in very handy as a lever. I used a fair amount of silicon grease on the rubbers to help in easing them into position as well as aiding the new bolts through the rubbers.

Fit the new nuts on as you go but only as far as the nylock, dont tighten any of them up at this stage.

Once all the rubbers, washers and new nylocks have been replaced go back to the start (in my case the front of the Disco) and progressivly tighten all the nuts.

Go into your man cave and enjoy a beer or a single malt, you've earned it, but be happy in the knowledge that you wont need to do it again for several years ^_^

Thanks for the tips Boydie. Well, had an hour on it this afternoon, you're right, the bolt does come out, but its a beatch. No amount of levering would position the bolt far enough away from the floor to enable the bolt to come out....step in BFH, smacking the old mangled mounting or what was left of it got the bolt out, I guess the new bolt has to go in but at the moment I would say it wont. Still, got the welding to worry about first.....

Cheers