My 90 won't start

Hi All,

It's a 1985 2.5 N/A.

Been lying up for a few months. Tried to start her with no luck.

Suspected the lift pump was not working as I was unable to prime the system at all.

Changed the lift pump and I now have fuel everywhere. Bled off air to fuel pump and filter.

I hear the fuel pump solenoid click when I apply 12v so hopefully it's functioning ok.

The only thing I notice is no fuel coming from metal pipes connected to the injectors when i loosen them.

so I wonder is the solenoid plunger moving at all or could it be something else...!

Any advice appreciated

ta

Rod

I take it that it was running before she sat for a while.

Are you getting fuel upto the injectors and just not to the spill pipe.

If there is fuel to the injectors and you have good compression she should run if the timing and valves are set OK.

As you never said if you changed any of these things then I take it that she was just sat for a while.

It may take a while for the fuel to get from the injection pump up to the injectors and get all the air out.

Loosen the injector pipes at the injection pump first just to make sure it is pumping then tighten these and move to the injectors and do the same there.

Good luck

Tks Frax,

Yes it was running before lie up, but not very well.

The lift pump was deffo not functioning as designed, but new (old) one is.

I hadn't realized how particular the bleeding is.

there was no diesel coming out of the pipes at injector end, but there was plenty in the pump when I opened the bleed screw.

So I guess I will just have to be a bit more patient and give it more time to get through each of the injector pipes in turn.

Happy New Yr

It does take a bit of time to get up to the injectors, if you loosen one of the pipes at the pump end you will be able to tell if the injection pump is doing its job. The lift pump will put the diesel up into the injection pump but it will require the injection pump to take it past that point.

If it is pumping through the injection pump it will go upto the injectors but will take a few turns to get it there.

All the best for 2015