LR Discovery 300Tdi OffRoad Prep

afonseca

Hi all,

I’m currently doing some OffRoad preparation on my old Disco 300 TDI '94, which was from my father and is "part of the family" since then, so I decided to come here since I need some help from you experienced guys.
The idea is to prepare it for some touristic OffRoad courses as well as some trips/expedition, etc. Nothing extreme such as trial, etc.
I’ve already installed:
- OME Nitrocharger Sport +2” springs and shocks
- Front HD winch bumper
- Rear HD bumper Britpart DA5647 (similar to yours if not the same)
- Goodrige braking hoses
- Working lamp
and am thinking on putting:
- Air intake (Mantec?)
- Steering shock (Tough Dog RTC? is it a good idea?)
- Winch (Superwinch or Warn?)
- A/T or M/T tyres (currently it has Michelin Latitude)
- Offroad lights
But right now it’s really regarding tyres that I need more help. I want something more adequate for the OffRoad purpose but nothing with "bigfoot" looking (that ones getting too much out to the wheel arches).
I've been reading several opinions about this subject and was thinking on installing some AT ou MT on size 245/75R16, 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 but I'm still trying to know what's the more adequate, which ones need more changes and which (“camel cut”, reinforcing steering, etc).
So I kindly ask you opinion about brand (BFG, other), type (A/T or M/T), size and recommended wheel hubs (iron/aluminium?, brand, model, etc).
On option I was seriously considering was BFG’s MT 265/75R16 with boost rims, an alternative would be Cooper STT or Michelin XZL but I’m still very un-decise…
On the other hand aren’t MT tyres too un-confortable on road? And about fuel consumption?
Best regards and thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

It depends on what sort of off road you are considering doing.

I do a large amount of cross country desert touring, about 20,000 k's annually which here in Oz can entail some deep creek crossings so I think a snorkel is essential - for preventing entrained dust as well as water, consider fitting diff guards front and rear because you have lifted the car the diffs are still at the same height and perhaps at the front a steering guard. Spend a few hours on the underside and seal off any apertures into the cabin and consider fitting a new set of door seals - constantly overlooked but they do flatten after several years of door operation and let water and dust in.

Install an auxiliary battery, I have in total three, a deep cycle in the rear to run the fridge freezer and external camping LED lighting and two up front to run the engine and winch - they in turn charge the DC via a RedArc relay unit. If you're going on long trips a long range fuel tank is essential and while you're at it if you're going OS consider replacing the existing sedimenter with a Ryco R2132P sedimenter/filter unit. A good quality heavy duty roof rack is handy as well depending on what camping equipment you are thinking of taking - as well as somewhere to store the essential second spare wheel & tyre.

The list is fairly endless isn't it ? As for the extra driving lights you will only need them if you ill be doing a lot of night time driving, in which case get a good pair of LED or HID lights.