110 V8 LT 95 Gearbox oil type (UK)

Hey all,

After my saga with my original LT95, I have sourced/bought a replacement LT95 box complete with overdrive.

My question is, what gearbox oil do I use? The guy a got it off mentioned engine oil :blink: , even I know that's not right!!

Can anyone suggest what oil to use, I did use EP90 originally, just wondered if this is right, or what I should use!

Any info is gratefully accepted!! :) :)

Thanks

William

LT95 needs 15W/40 engine oil DO NOT use EP90 in it.

LT230 Transfer box needs EP90

if the overdrive is the Fairy unit that uses EP90 IIRC

if the overdrive is a GKN unit that uses ATF [same as the power steering system]

Thanks for the info, how do I know what type of over-drive it is?? Is there a name/any defining things to look for to determine the make??

Cheers

William

Yes, engine oil was the original spec. and is fine if changed relatively frequently.

A better modern alternative to a 15W-40 engine oil is either a 75W-85 or light 75W-90 (no more than about 14.5cSt) GL-4 manual transmission fluid, (not to be confused with a diff/gear oil) something along the lines of Castrol Syntrans or Redline MT90 if you want to cough up the dosh for a synthetic oil.

They'll give better gear and bearing protection with better shift characteristics. (their frictional characteristics are better suited to synchro's than an engine oil)

Thanks for the info, how do I know what type of over-drive it is?? Is there a name/any defining things to look for to determine the make??

Cheers

William

a Fairy overdrive has a gearlever to engage/disengage it, whereas a GKN unit has a rocker switch & light in a gearknob that is part of the GKN kit.