trigger wheel - to the V8 front pulley (EDIS-Megasquirt)

landybehr

Hi,

i´m about to add a trigger wheel to the pulley of my 3.9 V8 - it shall run with Megasquirt and the trigger wheel will give the EDIS ignition a timing signal.

I would prefer to put it to the rear of the pulleys (better protection) - respectively between the the damper weight and the balancing rim.

But this involves to get rid/modify the balancing rim (of course making re-balancing necessary, no problem).

now:

Pic202.jpg

the circular thing with the nuts welded to it is the balancing rim with only the center section remaining. By that is is not just a flat plate but has a cup-like circumference you can guess that there was some part cut off (to which little weights were added on demand in the factory, very much the same way like on a tyre/rim)

Any idea why there are not just 6 nuts, but this rectangular thing which substitutes 2 nuts ?? This applies to all the balancing rims, they have just one part number.

or do you see any concerns in completely getting rid of the balancing rim(i.e. the plate with the nuts)

like in this example:

img_1904_resize.jpgimg_1905_resize.jpg

I’m not so sure that it is a balancing rim …………. I think its maybe a sh!t guard……….. it is certainly the shape that a mud shield would be………..IIRC the damper is balanced by having holes drilled in the rear of it.

I also binned mine ………………. but whilst in a swamp a large stone got caught between the trigger wheel and the timing case, which holed the timing case……… the sump them filled with silt :rolleyes: …………..I have classed this as just bad luck and the new engine will be triggered by the same method ……………

My is the same as your lower pictures.......... I have just one spacer between the damper and the wheel. The run out on the wheel was very good indeed .... IIRC less than 5 thou........

:)

Ian

Unusually for me, I never worried about it, binned it and have had no worries.

Although I did spin the whole pulley in the lathe to turn the top of the trigger wheel.

Hi,

I binned the ring and mounted my trigger wheel with new bolts & nyloc nuts for security. I found that the pulley wouldn't sit home with the ring on as it fouled the casing casting.

I also have one set of my coil pack mounting brackets & sensor bracket left for sale, new & unused £30 plus postage.

Pics here... http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...=edis&st=60 towards the end of the thread.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Ian,

I´m quite sure the rim is used for balancing - as said you do not see the entire balancing rim in one of the pics.

I´m sure for these reasons: The parts manual calls it "balancing rim", the part manual shows little short wire-like weights that can be stuffed into the rim, and last - there is another mud shield on a standard damper assy (right behind the balancing rim) but it is so small in diameter that it can only procect the timing-housing-crankshaft-seal.

Anyway,

the common approach appears to bin that thing. So will I. After all, the rim´s outer circumference makes it prone to collect a little mud in it´s cavity, can´t be good for balance.

I’m not so sure that it is a balancing rim …………. I think its maybe a sh!t guard……….. it is certainly the shape that a mud shield would be………..IIRC the damper is balanced by having holes drilled in the rear of it.

:)

Ian