Discovery Body Swap

Andyducati

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but not to Landrovers. Having had 4 over the last 10 years, and still got 3 of them.

I too am looking to replace the rotten 3 door body on my disco. The old 3 door is bad but the chassis is mint. Ive also got a 5 door with a mint body but a bad chassis. Ive got ideas on how to lift the body but want to get some opinions.

I have access to a large gantry crane and I want to lift the bare shell from the top of the door apatures and the rear door apature. The load will be spread across the door apatures using large lumps of wood and plenty of webbing straps. The load should be spread evenly between the 'A', 'B' and 'C' pillars and around the rear door frame. It will only be suspended long enough for me to pull the chassis out and then lowered onto a trolley. I will be using a lifting beam to ensure the straps lift perpendicular to the shell. I want to lift the body clear of the chassis in one lift rather than prop the body up on various stands in stages

My main worry is, is there enough strength in the body structure to lift from the top of the door frames and through the pillars.? Does anyone have any ideas on how heavy a bare discovery 1 shell is? Are there any differences between V8 and TDi bodys?

Here's hoping to some fantastic replies !!!

Andy

1991 Disco with 5.7 chevy and about 400 horsies

1990 Rangie (standard, (boo))

1985 Rangie/hybrid with 4.6i

1993 Disco with a holy chassis

Not sure about the strength when lifting. I swapped the body on my Disco for a 300 Series ES version. However we lifted the old body off using jacks and some plasterers trestles. Then rolled out the chassis on it's discs (so the engine would clear the old bodywork) and rolled it under the new body (the discs were replaced afterwards). It's pretty straight forward.

Ivan

I wouldn't be too worried, I did similar with my cut down rr body, with no roof on (so less strong) and it went ok.

The main thing would be to lift the body without squeezing it, which is sounds as if you've got covered with the beams.

I lifted the rr body on just two points, with a whole body you should be able to lift from more points, sharing the load out nicely.

bodylift23.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

Well I've got my frames and lifting beam all sorted, I just need the time to start. Probably on Saturday morning.

I will take plenty of photos and post them here and hopefully it will make it into the tech archive.

Wish me luck

Andy