Power steering pump disco 2

stretch121

Hi chaps, i have a 2000 plate disco 2 and had a strange noise when steering on inspection i saw the fluid was low so got some to top it up this resolved the problem.....for now.

The fluid level has already dropped a little from where i topped it up to and im wanting to know what is the best and most eady way to access the pipes that connect to the unit.....from under the wheel arch or removal of the grill???

If its a loose pipe its easy sorted if its the seals might be best to get a new or recon unit, i will be able to fit my self having seen the step by step guide with pics on here even for a novice i found that info great and easy to follow so well done and thanks who ever put that up.

If i do need a new unit, any recomendations on whats best, new or recon?? also where from?

forgot to add its a td5 with no ace fitted, not removed just dont think was ever fitted.

Cherers for any help fellas, and lasses.

Regards.

Gareth.

You have to dig down to the PAS pump - right hand side and very low down. Quite a few pipes, wires, etc to remove, but the job is obvious as you work. TD5 Disco's do have a habit of the PAS pipes leaking where they cross in front of the radiator - low down, behind the front grille, so check those first. Symptoms are fluid dripping off the front crossmember. To check the pipe connections to the PAS box - remove drivers front wheel, then 3 x 8mm head screws that holds the plastic splash panel in place inside the wheel arch. The top of the PAS box and the single 10mm head bolt can be easily accessed then.

Les.

You have to dig down to the PAS pump - right hand side and very low down. Quite a few pipes, wires, etc to remove, but the job is obvious as you work. TD5 Disco's do have a habit of the PAS pipes leaking where they cross in front of the radiator - low down, behind the front grille, so check those first. Symptoms are fluid dripping off the front crossmember. To check the pipe connections to the PAS box - remove drivers front wheel, then 3 x 8mm head screws that holds the plastic splash panel in place inside the wheel arch. The top of the PAS box and the single 10mm head bolt can be easily accessed then.

Les.

Cheers for the heads up Les, will have a butchers tonight.

I do however think itr was down to a smash last year in december, was hit while in shop and the other bloke drove off all the damage was on this side and all was fine before then while i was away in kenya it started to leak so today i have spoken to the insurance comp and they are sending someone to assess it plus damage to front grill that was missed

so fingers crossed they will sort it for me.

The pump is pretty protected - due to it's position. The two pipes are connected as follows - low pressure (from the reservoir) - originally a crimped 'jubilee type' connection, High pressure side - 17mm 'acorn connection fitting, which screws directly into the pump body. The two pipes that pass ocross the front crossmember are both high pressure (flow and return), and are prone to corrosion, Both held by two very weak brackets that are fixed to the front crossmember.

Les.