defender lock barels & fuel cap

Hi,

Thought I had seen this topic before, but I can't find it.

I need to change the lock barels on the defender and I want the fuel cap the same key.

Thought I would buy 4 barels and 1 cap, then put three of the barels on the doors and the other one on the fuel cap.

Is it that easy? (I doubt it.... :unsure: )

also....

Paddocks want about £25 for the lot.

LR Dealer wants £71 for the lot.

Does anyone know of a good reason not to use the paddocks ones?

cheers

in advance

Jas

Yes this has cropped up.

You will have to but a new fuel cap to fit the key to keep all keys the same.....UNLESS........Somebody knows differently. Or you could drill the old barrel out of the fuel filler cap. I couldn't see any other way so a new cap it was.

DO NOT try to remove the door handles from the doors to replace the key barrel. You will damage the handles and then have to buy new. The "nut" pressed into the handles turn as you try to uncrew the screw. One of my handles is still glued on from when we tried.

Remove the door card. Now you can then remove the inner steel door panel. I chose not to. BT had modified the door to make the job easier.

To modify

Look at where the screw is that holds the barrel in place.

Drill a hole in inner panel as near to the screw center as possible. Use a drill size that will allow you to get a screwdriver onto the screw.

Undu the screw and push the barrel out.

In the famous words " Replacement is a reverse proceedure of removal "

HTH

mike

YES. It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

I've tried this one (bought full set of barrels & keys) by taking apart the lock of a new fuel cap but for some reason this barrel is not the same as the one for the door locks. Vehicle 1992 Defender 200TDi. So I still have a separate key for the fuel cap.

Cheers

Marco

I've got the two lug lockable fuel cap and push door locks. The barrel of the fuel cap is slightly bigger as far as I can remember. I actually bought a new fuel cap especially for changing the lock. Taking apart the fuel cap is tricky anyway as small balls and springs for the ventilation will pop out. Strange thing however is that key size is about the same...

Cheers

Marco

My barrels fitted the fuel cap without a problem.

Jas.

Be aware that the vented cap is black. !!! Simple isn't it. When I bought my black vented cap it wasn't vented.

mike FOAK

YES. It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.