Td5 injector codes with Nanocom

Hi all,

Due to the untimely demise of the vac pump rotor and my failure to replace the engine oil quckly enough afterwards, I am in the process of replacing the now very rattly td5 engine in my 51 plate Defender 90, however I am a little confused about the codes for the injectors.

I know they need the five digit code (stamped on the injector top next to the plug) entering to the ECU for each one, fair enough, I've identified the codes, but looking at the Nanocom read/write settings page, they are shown as a seven digit code grouped in 3 "boxes", eg. [NC] [NM] [2-F-B] the first two groups of 2 are OK but how does the next box relate to the letters on the unit and the fifth digit, maybe it's just me being dim but I can't see the connection.

By the way, the new lump is the later 15P engine (out of a Disco 2) replacing the original 10P unit.

I've already replaced the ECU a while ago when the original one died with an intermittent fault, the replacement here is also the later type, NNN500020.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Clive.

Hi all,

Due to the untimely demise of the vac pump rotor and my failure to replace the engine oil quckly enough afterwards, I am in the process of replacing the now very rattly td5 engine in my 51 plate Defender 90, however I am a little confused about the codes for the injectors.

I know they need the five digit code (stamped on the injector top next to the plug) entering to the ECU for each one, fair enough, I've identified the codes, but looking at the Nanocom read/write settings page, they are shown as a seven digit code grouped in 3 "boxes", eg. [NC] [NM] [2-F-B] the first two groups of 2 are OK but how does the next box relate to the letters on the unit and the fifth digit, maybe it's just me being dim but I can't see the connection.

By the way, the new lump is the later 15P engine (out of a Disco 2) replacing the original 10P unit.

I've already replaced the ECU a while ago when the original one died with an intermittent fault, the replacement here is also the later type, NNN500020.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Clive.

I haven't used Nanocom that much (read once), but have still got it installed on my PC. Looking at the setting page it displays it as 5 digit code as per any other diagnostic tool... unless I'm missing something.

The first four letters are as per the injector - the 5 letter is then converted into a number...

For early ECU (MSB*****) and black top injectors:

A = 0 or 3

B = 1

C = 2

For later green NNN ECU's and green top injectors:

E = 1

F = 2

G = 3

H = 4

J = 5

K = 6

L = 7

M = 8 or 0

You can ignore any other numbers/letter on the injector.

You then just need to make sure you have the correct files for your ECU and Engine. If the ECU is from the Discovery you need to change the files to make it a Defender (or amoung other things your temp. gauge will work the wrong way round).

With a later engine, and the later NNN500020 ECU I'd run -

90 Tune:

Fuel Tune ID code SVLNE 007

Vehicle Variant ID code SVTNP 006

or

110 Tune:

Fuel Tune ID code SVLOE 005

Vehicle Variant ID code SVTNP 006

I think the above are in the format used by Nanocom. If it was me I'd probably run the 110 tune - as I tend to find it drives better... but the choice is yours.

You also need to make sure you have the correct throttle pedal selected on the ECU setting page. Depending on VIN, your Defender may have the earlier 2 pot throttle. In which case this needs to be selected rather than 3 pot/track - or your throttle won't work (usually). All that is left to then is 'teach' the engine ECU it to your 10AS unit... via the learn function.

If you want to clever, you can also change the VIN in the ECU to match your Defender.

Ian

Cheers Ian,

What a star, you're right on there with the injector coding and Nanocom tune file formats, I've put in the 110 tune files and programmed the injector codes as you suggested, not had time for a proper test-drive yet but in any case I'm still running with the old engine but it runs OK except for the small problem that I've had since replacing the ECU.

It will start easily and tick over nice and smooth but with no throttle response until its been running for a minute or two, then it runs and drives perfectly normally (except for the bag of spanners noise), if you floor the pedal during the "warm-up" period it chugs a bit without really increasing the revs and coughs out loads of grey smoke that smells of semi-burnt fuel.

It's got a two pot throttle pedal on my truck and it's programmed as such in the ECU, but I get a couple of fault codes 04-03 & 06-03 both listed as "coolant temp circuit CURRENT", I sometimes get "noisy crank signal" too but I guess the coolant temp one could cause the strange cold start fault, maybe the new engine will fix it.

By the way, you mention changing the VIN, I know it's logged in the ECU but my version of Nanocom (2.03) doesn't display it anywhere so far as I can see let alone show an option to change it, do you have any suggestions of how to get to it?

Thanks again,

Clive