Jump to content


Settled In
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About gadget

  • Rank
    Old Hand

Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Exerciser circuit worked perfectly. Left it running for an hour but no effect on the turbo boost level. First test drive gave P1470 as usual.
  2. 100kPa=1 bar. It seems you can buy MAP sensors in .5 bar intervals for your specific application. Even GM supply different upper limit parts 3 digit case stamp numbers: 1 Bar: 039, 460, 883, 876 2 Bar: 886, 012, 539, 609, 701 3 Bar: 749, 861 I've wondered if the vnt vanes aren't going all the way closed? The ECU expects the vanes to be fully closed with zero vacuum applied. When needed it will apply vacuum to request more boost. If the turbo isn't at minimum the ECU can't adjust downward other than cut fuelling. I've put together a circuit that will exercise the actuator and pull it through full range once per second. I'm going to run that for a while and see if it helps.
  3. I've checked the wiring for the MAP and it looks fine. Two different MAP sensors give very similar readings that look sensible so I'm taking those as good. Similarly two MAF sensors give pretty much the same readings and the wiring for that looks fine too. I've found two broken wires so far. The crank sensor and the boost solenoid both had wires that look to have fatigued and cracked. The burst turbo hoses are another good indicator that the boost is too high. I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that the MAP sensors upper measurement limit is around the 250kPa mark, so the 248kPa I'm seeing may be the sensor limit rather than the boost pressure 😲
  4. I can see that weak vacuum would be a cause, but the same vacuum level pulls the actuator in nicely when I control the solenoid with my bench power supply.
  5. A little more progress with this today. Although the turbo actuator would move when vacuum was applied it would only move a little when vacuum was triggered via the solenoid. This turned out to be a small piece of debris in the actuator that would act as a plunger when it was sucked into the vacuum feed opening. Maybe with the engine running the vibration was enough to throw it into the opening? Actuator is back on the turbo and now operates full travel in a nice linear movement when I control it with 0 - 11V externally. With the engine idling and the solenoid power plug removed I'm seeing 10.92V at the plug with a DMM. (I know it's a PWM signal so I'm expecting that to be around a 70% duty cycle.) The ECU still isn't controlling the boost properly With a blip of the throttle the 51 td4 moves its actuator a good way and lets it slide back slowly. The 55 doesn't really move its actuator when the throttle is blipped, and it can still hit 240kPa under acceleration. Irritating.
  6. I've found a possible break in a wire on the crank sensor. Chopped and soldered and the P1270 is staying away Another test drive, and if I drive holding the boost at 248kPa (a small hill and 2500rpm in 3th does this) for any length of time I get P1470 and limp home
  7. Out of curiosity I tried 2 different MAP sensors and 2 MAF sensors today. No real difference between the sensors. Logging some data whilst driving shows that boost pressure appears to have a hard limit at 248kPa and air flow has a peak around 1250mg/stroke.
  8. I've been trying to fix a P1270 error and a noisy turbo for a little while now. Our 51 td4 gives these figures for boost: 780 rpm=98.3kPa 2500 rpm=105kPa 4000 rpm=140kPa The problem 55 td4 gives: 780 rpm=99.5kPa 2500 rpm=150kPa 4000 rpm=220kPa At the rev limiter = 240kPa Driving the 55 td4 hard I can punch holes in the turbo hoses Swapped vacuum lines, turbo solenoid and accumulator from 51 td4 and there's no difference in readings. Unplug the power connector from the turbo solenoid and the boost stays around 105kPa for most of the rev range. Turbo actuator arm is free to move, actuator holds vacuum and the turbo vanes are moving freely. I am at a loss as to what it causing the ECU to request the high boost. Edit: I forgot to add that the rpm and kPa figures above are with the cars stationary.
  9. I'm hunting down the remaining niggles on our new freelander and one of the niggles is the air intake temperature sensor is reading 117C. LR006796 is a two wire sensor, so i'm thinking probably an NTC resistor. Anyone know what the resistance of these things are at 20-ish degrees C?
  10. Another possibility. The PCV valve has blocked and the increased crank case pressure is causing oil to be being dumped through the smaller PCV pipe (under the air filter) and through the turbo. See how full the intercooler is.
  11. Does anyone have a picture showing the correct mounting location for the td4 turbo solenoid vent filter please? Both of our freelanders have the filters flapping about on the end of vacuum hoses at the back of the engine. I'd like to tidy things up around the back before i put the IRD back on.
  12. It's an odd thing to be an inspection cover where it is. Not in the most accessible place.
  13. After removing the existing clutch I can answer my own question. The service limit according to haynes is 5.6mm. The plate giving the high bite point measures 5.4mm uncompressed. The new AP plate measures 8.0mm uncompressed.
  14. I've put the gearbox back in today and as soon as I had the thin cover plate in place the hole for it was obvious. I haven't managed to find a part number for it but it fits in the cover plate where red outline is.
  15. Nothing on the gearbox that would take this. I'll have another poke about with a torch near the flywheel.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy