Whine when lift off

I have just had exactly the same thing, similar sounding whine, turned out to be the intermediate bearings in the transfer box so sent that off to Ashcroft to rebuild and should get it back today. I did it in exactly the way mentioned above. Removed the props and handbrake, disconnected the breathers, diff lock wire, and linkage, supported the transfer box (either jack or crane) to remove the mount and then took off the transfer box. I have the advantage of being strong enough to lift the transfer box myself so just removed it manually but I have done it in the past with an engine crane through the center seat access hatch.

I also did the clutch at the same time as with that much removed already it is not much more of a job to move the gearbox back. Again very straight forward, remove the floors and tunnel,  remove the two gear leavers, discontented the reverse switch and the breather, carefully remove the slave cylinder and tie up out of the way (no need to disconnect so you do not need to re-bleed), support the gear box on a crane through the passenger door and remove the mount, move the gearbox back and rest on the gearbox cross member which then gives enough room to access the clutch on the flywheel and the release fork on the gear box. One thing that I was recommended and is to lightly file a very small chamfer onto the inner edge of the spigot bush to aid with lining up the gearbox when refitting, I did this and the gearbox lined up and went in first time.

Once you have done the clutch it is fairly easy to line up the gear box with the engine on the crane, if you are struggling it may help to jack under the engine a little so that it is slightly angled, I did this combined with the spigot bush and it wet straight on. I will be refitting the transfer box at the weekend but that is just the reverse process, I just lift it into place but it would be the same as the gearbox if you were using a crane.

Edited by dag019