Are All 4.6 Flywheels the Same Dimensions?

Oldopels

Are all flywheel dimensions the same and therefore interchangeable?

I have a 4.6 gems engine that was originally mated to an automatic gearbox but I have swapped this for a manual flywheel for a LT77 box.

I found a NOS manual flywheel and fitted it without too much thought but sometimes, only sometimes, the starter doesn’t engage properly and there is a terrible gnashing of teeth. (Mine and the flywheel!)

The possibilities I have considered are;

1) The manual flywheel sits too far from the starter and the solenoid can’t throw the gear far enough and I may need a different starter?

2) My original starter and manual flywheel configuration are fine but the started is playing up and needs refurb or replacement?

3) The flywheel I bought wasn’t actually a P38 manual flywheel at all 😬?

4) I’m an idiot?

5) Any combination of the above.

If you know what’s causing the problem or better still know the answer I’d love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I've ever found they're all interchangeable, give or take details like dowel locations or sensor rings. I have two 4.6's with earlier (3.9 / 3.5) flywheels, one used the early starter, one was using the original P38 starter until it died and is now on whatever the parts counter had which seemed to be a fairly universal "Rover V8 starter" option.

Edit: I'm only ~20mins up the road from you if you need to compare notes, I've got a couple of dead starters on the shelf you're welcome to play with.

• Thanks 1

That’s a very kind offer @FridgeFreezer, can I bank that for another day (another problem)?

I’ve measured everything up and I’m happy that the flywheels as they are fitted are within 1mm of each other. i.e. the same. I think the problem may be with the starter but it was behaving itself when I did a bench test so I’ve cleaned it all up and put it back on. So far no problems. 🤞