Defender speedo problem. 1986, 2.5 n/a

Hi, my speedo failed. I have the 2 piece speedo cable. I renewed the cables, then fitted drill to bottom end of cables and activated, speedo working fine.

Then connected bottom end to gearbox, being careful to ensure end of cable went into drive hole.

Still no joy. So, I am supposing problem with drive bit in gearbox, which I am thinking is not an easy job.

Any suggestions welcome.

The speedo drive is in the rear housing of the transfer box, so to remove that housing means rear prop & transmission brake removal

Or the drive gear has come free from it's shaft where the cable from speedo fits, the alloy housing is removable so you can check that part. 

• Like 1

Is the end of the drive gear engaging on the new speedo cable, the cable may not be entering or it may have rounded off inside. With the cable fitted to the drive can you turn the other end?

The driven gear and its housing should come out of the transfer box reasonably easily by levering it up with a screwdriver in the groove just below the cable clip, if it hasn't seized in the transfer box. 

FRC3286.jpg

FRC3310.jpg