Sagging butt - like an old lady

Gareth Dickens

Hi all

Put new front leafs on SIII. Now have about 1-2 " difference in height beteen the front and rear of my landy. (Rear lwr obviously as from the whole sagging butt thing.) Can I put 1 of my old blades into the rear springpack? Want to use a long blade so it bends less when taking normal (empty) load but still flexes when bouncing.

You would probably find that the Ford V8 (what gearbox are you using?) is no heavier than the standard 2 1/4 or 2.6 landy engines.

You can add extra leaves at the rear no problem providing the retainers are long enough. If you have a hydraulic press, or a big hammer and shaped log you can also increase the arch on a few leaves to restore a bit of height.

Bill.

you could also put military shackles on the rear of the rear springs, this will raise it by about an inch

The Military shackles I measured in my shed are 40 mm longer than stock. If the springs were in very good condition and the shackles were close to vertical the gain would only be around 20 mm. but if the springs are well sagged and the shackles sat at a 45 degree or less angle, the gain would be almost negligable. I once bought an old shorty with very sagged springs on to which the owner fitted shackles 10 '' long. These didn't raise the suspension very much but completely screwed up the departure angle.

Bill.