Oil control Rings for 2.25 diesel

tony109

My reliable 5 brg 2.25 diesel's head gasket let go today. I limped it home and appears to be Blowing between cylinders No 1 + 2. 

It's breathing a bit on the heavy side, so while I have the head's off, can anyone recommend a more effective set of Oil control Rings.. Something to reduce the Blow-by.

The engines not been bored, it's done a few miles but need to keep it running until I get more free time.. Any Special piston rings available for such a job?

Blow by is not caused by oil control rings, but by compression leaking past the... Er... Compression rings. 

If it is burning oil then new oil control rings could help, but by then why not rebore and fit new pistons and rings... 

What are the symptoms? 

• 2 weeks later...

A rebore, new pistons, a head skim, etc would work wonders.. But having stripped it down, bores are good, head flat and the rings were stuck in the grooves.. It has been breathing a little heavy but nothing that extreme.

New Std Rings are tight in the bores and pistons good..  The head gasket blew between 1 and 2..

All I was trying to do was keep the blow by and crank case compression down. The 2.25 diesel pistons has a fifth Vacant oil control groove below the Gudgeon Pin.

This unused lower groove in the piston skirt looks identical to the upper scrapper ring groove and the green bible even states that the early type one piece scrapper ring can be fitted in the upper and lower scrapper ring grooves. So was a second lower scrapper ring fitting around the piston skirt for some applications..?