Series III front on a 90

Guest MJG

Any body on here actually done this???

This is all part of my continuing quest to suss out which way I go in the end (ref other posts) Series III or 90.

I really like the look of the III and I understand it is possible to use a Series III front panel/grille and a bonnet on a 200tdi 90 to get the retro look I am after. Further I understand the series split screen can fit too.

Anybody on here actually done either or both these mods. and would you care to offer tips or post pics.

Many thanks.

Most things are possible but it depends how much work you want to do and what you want to end up with in the end?

The S111 front-panel & bonnet sit further back so I doubt you will get them to fit in the original positions without some relocation of other parts (the position of the radiator immediately springs to mind!). As I recall the S111 front-panel was not a simple panel as with the 90/110's but was also the framework which supported the (narrow) radiator so the first thing you would have to do is strip one out so it was just a flat panel and then see if there was any way you could push the radiator back (obviously the viscous fan would be the first thing to go). The fact LR found it necessary to push the front-panel out for the Stage-1's and 90/110's leads me to think you won't have a simple time of it.

With regards to the windscreen you would have to fit a S111 roof as well as they are a completely different shape, whether the Series roof is the same length as the 90 roof you would have to get out there with your tape-measure to check. In addition the Series windscreen is not as tall so you would need to fit Series wiper arms/blades as well and I don't know if the hinges on the screen would match up with the ones on the bulkhead as they are different as well.

Most things are possible but it depends how much work you want to do and what you want to end up with in the end?

Hi Litch - many thanks for your input it is really appreciated. The thing is I know the theory but what I am really after is the story from somebody who has actually done this.

It seems however not many have....

Thanks again.....