leaking roof

pinny

i have water coming in it appears to be coming between the point where the roof is fixed to the sides at the same level as the gutter if i dried it all probably silicone would seal it it appears to get in where the original sealer has become wet cracked it is probably wicking water through the seal any suggestions other than silicone or a good coat of chlorinated rubber 2 pack paint which is high build so i could put plrnty on any suggestions cheers chris

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with my roof I used silicone it worked for while but the leak is back. I talked to the machanic at my local garage and the roof bars needed tightening up but this mean the roof lining needs to be removed to do it.

If you off road or drive hard on the road then I can see the body moving moving about a bit and would possibly in time break any silicon seal.

Where abouts along the roof is it leaking? I know a lot of the guys in the States complain about Discovery's leaking around the rear alpine windows.

i have water coming in it appears to be coming between the point where the roof is fixed to the sides at the same level as the gutter if i dried it all probably silicone would seal it it appears to get in where the original sealer has become wet cracked it is probably wicking water through the seal any suggestions other than silicone or a good coat of chlorinated rubber 2 pack paint which is high build so i could put plrnty on any suggestions cheers chris

With regards to your leaking roof, my D2 was leaking from some point on the roof so i sealed the sunroof with duck tape to see if that was my problem.the answer to was no it was still getting in :o ,my next step was to do the same with the alpine windows, SUCCESS, having found that it was the alpine windows i removed the tape and sealed them with clear silicone. Since then we`ve not had to keep an umbrella in the car :D .

Foxminer.

eventually cured leak with high modulus silicone dried both sides of guttering after removing plastic trim applied silicone and re fitted trim then sprayed tetrosyl underbody sealant full length of gutter this has been on for about 2 months no water yet hopefully cured prob :)