clutch slave cylinder

paulandsam

hi all can anyone help i am working on my sons disco 300tdi and have replaced the master cylinder (as it was leaking ) then found that the slave was shot as well on removing it from the bell housing the plastic clip holding the rod onto the clutch fork broke :( . i have been told that you can replace the rod without the clip as the force will hold it in anyone know if this is ok to do or do i need to somehow replace the clip. the problem with the car was that it would knonk grind into gear it is as if the clutch plate is not releasing /dissengauging any thoughts on this? manythanks

FridgeFreezer made a tool for putting the rod back onto the clip. Not sure if it's possible to replace a broken clip with it though as the two legs of the clip have to be carefully pushed through their respective holes. If you try to do without the clip, then getting the ball end of the rod to stay in the end of the operating fork while you put the slave back on would be extrememly difficult. If you can't replace the clip without taking the gearbox off, then I suggest putting a blob of RTV sealant on the end of the rod and sticking it in place on the operating fork. Leave the sealant to set and then put the slave back on. As the sealant is very flexible, I don't think that it'll cause a problem with the operation of the clutch.

Les.

FridgeFreezer made a tool for putting the rod back onto the clip. Not sure if it's possible to replace a broken clip with it though as the two legs of the clip have to be carefully pushed through their respective holes. If you try to do without the clip, then getting the ball end of the rod to stay in the end of the operating fork while you put the slave back on would be extrememly difficult. If you can't replace the clip without taking the gearbox off, then I suggest putting a blob of RTV sealant on the end of the rod and sticking it in place on the operating fork. Leave the sealant to set and then put the slave back on. As the sealant is very flexible, I don't think that it'll cause a problem with the operation of the clutch.

Les.

thanks for the advice i will try that tonight/tommrow