Wiring up the alternator....

Outrage

Hi all,

A few alternator related questions im struggling with, when i originally baught the car the electrickery was a complete hodge bodge so ive rewired the whole thing to my liking and everything appears to work ok but due to the mixture of series/110 components ive a few queries:

Ive got a 2.5nad 12J engine in the lightweight and after installing a new alternator after my old one failed (bearings went). The new alternator is different from the old one in the fact that as well as the three spade type terminals it also has two stud type marked up as B+ and W what are these used for?

Since ive rewired the car i'm a little confused as to the correct method of wiring the alternator up. At the moment ive got both connections from the two large spade terminals connected to the battery positive via the starter motor positive stud and the small spade terminal is connected to my charging light with the other side of the charging light connected to a positive feed. Is this correct??

Are the two large spade connections linked internally within the the alternator? If so is there any reason why i can't just run one wire to the battery instead of two?

Ive got a 110 schematic which appears to show an ignition light resistor in parallel to the ignition light whats this for and do i need to incorporate it as there wasn't one on the vehicle when i first baught it?

theres a pdf of how its wired (give or take!) here: lees electrickery diagram

if that helps.

Thanks for your help,

B+ is the same as the two large spade terminals. Check yourself with your multimeter set to ohms.

W is a tapping from the alternator (stator or output ) winding. This used to provide a pulsing voltage whose frequency is used to drive a tacho.

Your wiring is correct provided that the positive feed to your charge warning lamp is switched by the ignition switch.

Yes, the two spades will be linked internally, check with your meter as above. One cable can be used if it is of increased in size to have a current capacity equal to the two smaller cables.

The resistor in parallel with the charge warning lamp ensures that the alternator will start charging even if the lamp is blown.

jw

B+ is the same as the two large spade terminals. Check yourself with your multimeter set to ohms.

W is a tapping from the alternator (stator or output ) winding. This used to provide a pulsing voltage whose frequency is used to drive a tacho.

Your wiring is correct provided that the positive feed to your charge warning lamp is switched by the ignition switch.

Yes, the two spades will be linked internally, check with your meter as above. One cable can be used if it is of increased in size to have a current capacity equal to the two smaller cables.

The resistor in parallel with the charge warning lamp ensures that the alternator will start charging even if the lamp is blown.

jw

JW, cheers for that mate, its made life a lot simpler! :)

You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the charging resistor would you, seems a bit daft to rely one one small lamp to charge the battery so worthwhile fitting one.

Yes the supply to the charge light is through an ignition fed supply.