Hubs/stub axles

66gaza

I would like to know what the panel thinks is the best and or strongest hubs for a Defender. I think they are the early 90/110 front ones as the bearings are slightly further apart I think the part No is HRC 1326 but don't quote me on that. I realise there isn't a big difference. So what do you think?

Gaza

For your truck Gazz go for the early wider spaced bearing hubs, and carry a spare front stub axle (spindle). I have never seen a hub break, except on a 101 Fc. but the weight of your rig will show up any weaknesses, and if you are concerned about hub durability you could always make your spare wheel carrier from a complete hub and stub axle to save carrying around deadweight as spares.

bill.

I have been running the wider spaced ones since day 1, just wondering if they were the best option still as I am always thinking about the next project. All 6 are the same and on the very 1st outing I had a bearing go from lack of lubrication, I just took the wheel off (back axle) , ratcheted the axle up a little and drove home in the middle of the night (90 miles) The bottom thread of the damper was a little chamfered were it had made contact with the road a few times.. The hub and stub were scrap. Since then I have carried a spare hub/spindle and wheel bearings but never needed them. My camper might be heavy but it will probably have less weight on certain parts than a heavy 110 or 130 as my weight is spread over 3 axles.

Gaza

I have been running the wider spaced ones since day 1, just wondering if they were the best option still as I am always thinking about the next project. All 6 are the same and on the very 1st outing I had a bearing go from lack of lubrication, I just took the wheel off (back axle) , ratcheted the axle up a little and drove home in the middle of the night (90 miles) The bottom thread of the damper was a little chamfered were it had made contact with the road a few times.. The hub and stub were scrap. Since then I have carried a spare hub/spindle and wheel bearings but never needed them. My camper might be heavy but it will probably have less weight on certain parts than a heavy 110 or 130 as my weight is spread over 3 axles.

Gaza

That may be true of the rearend Gaza,But if you hit an unexpected washaway at speed then alot of your 10,000 odd lbs will be trying to bend/break your front axle componentry. broken front spindles although rare are not unheard of even on lighter more standard vehicles in outback conditions.

If you haven't done so already, convert your hubs to oil. Then the only way a bearing will fail for lack of lube is if your diff runs dry, and you'll get plenty of warning if that happens.

Bill.

That may be true of the rearend Gaza,But if you hit an unexpected washaway at speed then alot of your 10,000 odd lbs will be trying to bend/break your front axle componentry. broken front spindles although rare are not unheard of even on lighter more standard vehicles in outback conditions.

If you haven't done so already, convert your hubs to oil. Then the only way a bearing will fail for lack of lube is if your diff runs dry, and you'll get plenty of warning if that happens.

Bill.

The hubs are all oil Bill, The rear failed due to the way it was widened, the extension was thicker on the inside and limited the oil flowing from the diff to the hub bearings. All 6 stubs and hubs are the same and therefore 1 spare fits all. Also my axles are from around '86 and don't have the oil seal the later ones have.

Gaza