19j

blown88

Hello,new to Forum,wondering if anyone can help.Recently aquired S3 CSW with 19j engine,all ok..until,the strangest fault ever caused it to overheat,av read that this is disaster for these engines and now its very asthmatic. i understand diffrent engine altogether is advisable,but i need the vehicle back running with minimum fuss (engine swap,like for like) to get threw this winter. Any one got any bits/parts for 19j or whole usable engine.

Many thanks.

I have the lagest collection of 19J engine parts in the entire world.

Les. :(

Cheers for the reply Les,ive gatherd that over heating is terminal for the these engines.Being ex mechanic id like to compresssion test the water system/cylinders+bar check the turbo,but being ex mechanic-by a lot of years i cant lay my hands on test gear to see a) what im dealing with and B) if its economical to repair. The engine is still running,albeit with a very odd fault and with considerably less power than it had,there are no water/oil contaminates so i'll take on board whatever you suggest to the likely fault,boiled rings etc,as to what is required to breath life back into this unit or if you have a complete unit. Let me know of the parts and prices you have to recommend or complete units so as i can way up the economic viability.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers for the reply Les,ive gatherd that over heating is terminal for the these engines.Being ex mechanic id like to compresssion test the water system/cylinders+bar check the turbo,but being ex mechanic-by a lot of years i cant lay my hands on test gear to see a) what im dealing with and B) if its economical to repair. The engine is still running,albeit with a very odd fault and with considerably less power than it had,there are no water/oil contaminates so i'll take on board whatever you suggest to the likely fault,boiled rings etc,as to what is required to breath life back into this unit or if you have a complete unit. Let me know of the parts and prices you have to recommend or complete units so as i can way up the economic viability.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Start with a normal cylinder compression test (dry). Cheap and easy to do. Then do one with a bit o oil added to the cylinders. Check for improvement. It is as good a place to start as any. Rings tend to collapse when overheated. Hope it's only the rings. Only one way to see if the cylinder is damaged though.