Sorting Gearing With Larger Tyres

A topic for discussion

there are a fair few ways retaining L/R Axles:

ring/pinions

Maxidrive 30% Reduction gears

Ashcroft Crawler box

Ashcroft transfer gears (in pipeline)

After the fitment of 33's and 35's the gearing on my defender was raised to the point that descents were lets say intresting!

drive assist winching was wrecking the clutch

I considered the KAM R/P's but decided that specials such as the 4.75 with the supply not readily available and not wanting to buy a spare set to keep just incase.

Seriously got into the process of ordering the Maxi drive gear reduction set

then got sidetracked with the Ashcroft options

after seeing a crawler box install on Pirate4x4

contacted Dave and was told the crawler was no longer in production but there was the option of a set of transfer gears to lower the ratios to a more user friendly set in the pipeline, So the M/D were put on the back burner.

Time passed awaiting thier arrival/production.

Enter Diff with a post on here a few weeks back

highlighting a certain 110 for sale that had a crawler box fitted...

this unit allows you to retain the gearing you currently have in High/Low but adds the option of low-low.

Many e-mails later

Mark AKA Scrumps and I set off to The Midlands

to return later that day with the aforementioned Crawler box.

I set about installing it to be stumped at the first hurdle as the mid exhaust box was in the way, Once this was chopped off installation continued

all fine a fiddly process to get the pre load right

then to fabricate the lever onto my 90(this is a work in progress after the lever broke and had to be re welded)

all seems well then to find the handbrake drum touches the crawler, Enter the angle grinder/Eye/Hospital senario.

All installed 90 back together oil leak from drain sorted, New exhaust box added that fitted the space available.

Now to test it, Engaged Low in transfer box and introduce crawler box, the 90 creeps slow enough to get out and walk faster than it if you so wish.

this will be great for drive assist winching should this be required.

I'm very pleased with my choice

and would like to thank again:

Diff

Scrumps

David Ashcroft

Chris Watts

anyone on here who also offered advice..

Some pics for anyone intrested are to be seen in the thread titled crawler install.

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy