2003 Td5 Parking Sensors when towing a trailer

Mark_W

Hi

I have a 2003 (facelift) Discovery Td5 that has a set of the factory fitted parking sensors on it which seem to be linked in to their own ECU in the rear of the car via an over ride switch on the dashboard.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make them turn off automatically (ie without me having to press the over ride switch each time I select reverse) when I am towing a trailer? The rear fog light does this, so it looks like the ability is there! I've had a search on the internet but have not managed to find anything of relevance! I'm contemplating taking a pair of wire cutters to them as they drive me mad when you are manoeuvring a trailer around in a tight space!

Mark.

It can be easily done if you have the 13 pin socket on the disco. If you have the 7 pin socket I don't see how you can do it without an extra plug/socket.

If you're prepared to cut some wires why don't you just leave the parking sensors off all the time? You will still have them handy for really tight spaces.

Thanks for the comments.

My Disco does have twin elecs, but not the 13 pin style connector. Most of the trailers that I tow only have a single plug, although I did try plugging both into a friends trailer to see if it silenced it. No joy! I did think about putting a latched switch into the power feed circuit to silence the little monster when necessary, but was wondering if there was an automated solution. :rolleyes:

Oh well, looks like its time to get the wire cutters out, or to keep on using the headache tablets!