Is it worth it

muddymart

Im currently running a 300tdi on 94 plate, faultless for the past year, but now i want to start doing some mods on it, though ive noticed that the rear body x member needs replacing and a 1/4 of each sill too

Is it worth it ? or do i px it for a newer reg?

some say "better the devil you know"

so deiced what faults yours has, then how much will you get for it?

what will the upgrade cost over and above your existing.

Can you afford it? :wub: if so and it gives you a buzz :i-m_so_happy: , then go for it.... you only live once :D:lol::D

The main question is can you weld or have access to a welder?

If the answer is yes, each job can be done over a weeked, I've done sills one weekend, boot floor another, front floor the next, then I did the inner wings the following, quite alot in all but before I strted I couldn't weld, but I paid £95 for an evening course and i already had a welder (you can get a secondhand one for around £100), so in total my starting cost were minimal and I now have a very solid land rover :)

Your choice but most disco's have rot somewhere

I cant weld, and i cant do a night course- as i work afternoons 2-10, but i like the disco i have, and im thinking if i get another i will be in the same situation again,

Body xmember and sills cant be that expensive if i get them done over a couple of months, as they are not mot'able failures, then i can start on me mods :rolleyes::D

so come on lads where can i get these panels and bits 'n' bobs from?

Sills are definatley MoT'able - But do a search on using Box section rather than repair sections, as it gives you a much stronger sill in the end.

As has been said, all discos will have a rot issue to some extent or other. I went down the repair route, and have a stronger truck as a result... ;)

Cheers

Mark

Hello again chap, for a set of box section sills 60x120x1400 3mm section it cam to around £30 for the steel, and it worked out around 5 hours per side to do, this is a very cheap repair and a must upgrade, I'm going to be tackling the rear box section as mine isn't really to good, it passed a mot but if I was doing it I'd have poked it a bit harder and failed but then again I'm happy :D, Have a real hard look at you truck, and write a list of EVERYTHING that needs doing, then decide if it's worth it, at least if you go and have a look at another one you'll know what to look for!

Best of luck mate!