Td5 ecu

Sailor

New to this game, so please forgive me if I get it wrong:

I own a 2001 Td5 90 County. I would like to replace the non-flashable ecu with one that I can use the full capacity of my Nanocom to map. What sort of replacement is compatible, please? (Is there somewhere I can find the appropriate part number before I waste money on ebay?).

Many thanks

Personnally... don't bother.

You do know you can't 'remap' ECU's (even the NNN flash type) with the Nanocom??

Well.... you can change files for other files... so if you had a remapped/modified set of files, you can down load that file to your ECU. But the Nanocom doesn't allow you to alter maps (which isn't really a DIY thing anyway).

If you want a remapped ECU then have someone correctly remap your current ECU - which in your case, would mean desoldering one of the chips on the main board and fitting a socket - then plugging in a new chip complete with 'modified' fuel map.

I can sort this out if needed: www.irbdevelopments.com - obviously so can other people lol ;) People who tell you your ECU can not be remapped - and try and sell you a new ECU instead - are mislead and/or misleading!!!!

As posted by me in the past:

There are quite a few differences between early and late engines, and as such, there are differences in the ECU's.

Physically, you can run any ECU on any engine, and although it will run, it would not be ideal and you will get quite a few spurious error messages (among other things - some a bit more serious than others!!!). Also, if you try to run a Disco spec ECU on a Defender the temperature gauge will work the wrong way round.

Really....

If you running a post 2002 engine, you want to run a post 2002 Flash Type (NNN****) ECU and if you are running an pre 2002 engine then really you want to run a pre 2002 none Flash ECU (MSB****)

However, there are a few exceptions....

Land Rover no longer supply none Flash MSB ECU, and have superseded them with the later NNN type - to coincide with this, they wrote a fuel and variant file suitable for the earlier pre2002 engines. So you can flash a NNN ECU with these files, and it becomes suitable for the earlier type engine (but still not as good as running the correct type ECU IMHO). There are 'remapped/modified' versions of this file around, but I personally don't don't see the need when you can modifiy the original ECU - rather than selling a customer something they don't need (i.e. a later type ECU)

Ian

Ian,

Thoroughly helpful advice - thank you. I didn't know the situation with LandRover regarding MSB /NNN. I'll have a think about the way forward and probably approach you through your web link. The repeated search for Td5 ecu (and any variants I could think of) produced no results at all last night - hence my posting on a topic that I suspect some people are bored with.