Strange noise!

keiser

Hi Guys..

I have a 2002 110 double cab. When i turn right, there is a strange 'honking'/rubbing noise coming from the rear underside. This only happens with a right turn.

I'm completely stumped with this one... has anybody got any idea's? ;)

Thanks.

Duck in your intercooler? :P

Does it only happen a full lock? Does it happen at low or high speed or both?

Full lock maybe tyre touching radius arm?

Higher speeds maybe left wheel bearing making noise as it loads up?

Funny you say that about the duck... it actually sounds just like that! sounds like its coming more from the rear, only really notice it at slow speeds and tight corners like junctions or mini roundabouts. Then as i straighten up and accelerate it makes about 6 or 7 quacks!!!

Like the wheel bearing idea.... well, i don't like it as such but its very likely.

Thanks Gromit.

Like the wheel bearing idea.... well, i don't like it as such but its very likely.

Sounds odd alright.

Normally bearings just rumble when they are going. With the diff lock disengaged and handbrake off, you can jack up each wheel in turn and (carefully) spin it up by letting the clutch in. Don't touch the brakes or you'll drive off what ever is keeping the wheel in the air.

have a mate listen to the spinning wheel for bearing/duck noises.

Sounds odd alright.

Normally bearings just rumble when they are going. With the diff lock disengaged and handbrake off, you can jack up each wheel in turn and (carefully) spin it up by letting the clutch in. Don't touch the brakes or you'll drive off what ever is keeping the wheel in the air.

have a mate listen to the spinning wheel for bearing/duck noises.

Thanks again Gromit... i'll give that a go.