rumble underneath

yellow

I have a 110 with a rumble... that is, the vehicle starts making plenty of noise between up- and down shifts in 4th and 5th, or when freewheeling at 'speed'. I already changed the halfshafts and the flanges on the rear drum-braked Salisbury, and the ones I took out did not have mentionable wear and tear on the splines, but that did not seem to change much.

I also have a slight clunck when braking at low speeds (most probably also at higher speeds, but then I do not notice it.)

Could these things be related? Where would I continue checking?

Bushes?

Bearings?

Prop UJs?

Front diff pignon?

LT230 diff center play?

All of the above?

Other area to check?

I'd like to get rid of the noise, as it drives me crazy...

chock your wheels, take your handbrake off, then try and move your propshafts. twist them see if there is any play, just had to do them on my disco. strange rumbling, lots of backlash, transmission bounce on,off throttle. try the u,j's first. :)

I also have a slight clunck when braking at low speeds (most probably also at higher speeds, but then I do not notice it.)

I have this, more of a 'clack' though.

On mine it's the front brake pads moving in the caliper. Get under and wiggle the pads up and down and see if it yields the same noise.

Just dropped down under the vehicle to replace the panhard bushes (Sheer joy) and saw that the discs are severely grooved. I guess that remark about the pads is just a drop in a bucket full of water. I also saw that the swivel seals are leaking, so I guess it is off to get some parts and perform a major overhaul.

My mistake for not noticing when I bought the vehicle 6 weeks ago, I should have insisted on a full MOT but did not have the time. Since then I drove about 1000 miles and guess I should be lucky to be alive...