Replace Fuel Lift Pump

davedisco

As I remember the swap is very easy. Undo pipe unions remove bolts holding fuel pump to block, remove gasket and replace (I used some hymolar ) fit new pump to block, tighten bolts. I do remember having to get the old pipework nuts from the old pump, bit of a pain as you have to remove the old olives first.

Put the pipe unions onto the new pump followed by new olives. Make sure the pipe unions are from the correct pipes as I think they are slightly different in size.

Tighten pipework up and you're done. (check for leaks)

I.me sure someone will elaborate or blow this out the water :D:D:D

Ivan

As I remember the swap is very easy. Undo pipe unions remove bolts holding fuel pump to block, remove gasket and replace (I used some hymolar ) fit new pump to block, tighten bolts. I do remember having to get the old pipework nuts from the old pump, bit of a pain as you have to remove the old olives first.

Put the pipe unions onto the new pump followed by new olives. Make sure the pipe unions are from the correct pipes as I think they are slightly different in size.

Ivan

Thanks for that :) Do you know if the bolts are easy to get to?

Yeah, pretty sure they are quite easy to get at with a socket.

When refitting the pump, if you find it difficult to seat it against the block, just flick the key to turn the engine over about half a rev to move the lift pump cam.

Hope this helps

Ivan

Am i right in saying, as far as i can remember when fitting the new pump that the arm on the pump has to go under the lift pump cam, otherwise you won`t be able to use the lift pump manually. Someone correct me if i`m wrong it was a long time ago when i had a 300 tdi.

Foxminer.

if the cam is in the wrong position you can still fit the lift pump, you just have to pull it upto the engine block with the bolts.

its not a hard job, just a bit fidly, especially if you've got big hands like mine...

make sure you get two new pipe union nuts and two new olives when you buy the pump.. oh and don't buy a B***part one, they are carp and only last a few months...

Ivan

;) Oh yes, I did blow this out of the water a couple of posts ago, look for the two topics I posted on 04 November 2007, "Hand priming ......" and "Non OE lifting pump...."

Just trying to fit lift pump old one taken out but having a right job fitting the new one..

any one got any ideas? tried turning engine over to move cam but no joy :(

Hi Dave, The pump should pretty much fall in to the block unless the cam is in pump position.

I would check that the new pump is exactly the same as the old one, (operating arm is same length and angled the same)

Secondly make sure the operating arm is locating above the cam as you install it.

If it obviously will not fit I would suggest the wrong pump. It can really be only one of these two things.

Ivan

Hi Dave, The pump should pretty much fall in to the block unless the cam is in pump position.

I would check that the new pump is exactly the same as the old one, (operating arm is same length and angled the same)

Secondly make sure the operating arm is locating above the cam as you install it.

If it obviously will not fit I would suggest the wrong pump. It can really be only one of these two things.

Ivan

Thanks Ivan

The arm appears the same length i just cant seem to get the pump to fit tight to the block without really pushing it in?