LT77 reverse gate

bazza

Over the weekend my LT77 5 speed fitted in a RRC tdi has developed a real phobea for reverse gear! the reverse gate has become very stiff and sometime jams up completely (not great when your window deep in mud!). is the selector gate on top of the gearbox or internal? do they have a habit of seizing up?

Baz

I had a similar problem in my disco until one day i came to reverse out the drive to get to work and found out i couldn't!

The problem will most likely be with reverse selector which is bolted on the top of the gearbox. There is a ball bearing and spring inside this which has most likely seized up. They're not hard to replace if you can get to them, i don't know what sort of access you have in a rrc but in my disco i could remove the centre console and get to the top of the gearbox that way. A quick fix is to just remove the reverse selector assembly but bear in mind that your reverse light wont work and it that 1st and reverse are very close and you can easily accidently select revers when pulling off in traffic :D

James