PAS pump 200Tdi

Lars L

The PAS pump on my 200Tdi Disco engine has started squeeling. Anyway, that's what I think as the noise changes when I turn the steering wheel a little... The steering is fine and I can't feel anything weird when driving. A few times though I've heard the belt scream for a short moment when turning wheels when stationary.

It's the type that looks more or less as a tin can. It's also the most expensive one that Paddock and others sell. Would it be possible to try to repair it or shall I just order a new one?

I've done the search, but I get all posts about "pumps". I also saw Les' excellent write up on one type of pump, but that's not the one I have. :(

If the belt is slack then it will squeal. I know mine does at the moment. First call would be the belt. A lot cheaper than a pump and you'd be better off changing the belt if the pump gets changed so you won't lose anything.

the tin can pump is easy to rebuild. and land rover even stock the seals and bearing for it.. mine was leaking badly , just got the seal kit from land rover, took it all apart noting what order it came in and replaced the seals no problem

cheers Gary

The subject seems to be fully discussed. :)

As my local parts supplier can sell me a new OEM pump for not much more than Paddock's want for a pump probably from Britpart, I think that's the route to take. Less fuzz and quicker on the road again. B)