disco odd handling - help!

jas97disco

Hi all, I've trawled through the technical pages but can't find an answer... can anyone advise...

I've a 97 (Series 1 300TDi)Disco which has developed recent odd handling. Best way to describe it is it's like a rope has tangled up on the front offside wheel, this is coupled with increasingly 'floaty' handling like steering a boat.

Cars got good tyres all round. It's had recent heavy duty springs, and gas shocks and steering damper, and I've just done all wheel bearings and adjusted the play on the steering box. Brakes don't appear to be binding and I'm not getting any CV joint clicking - 'heavy' handling occurs both in and out of gear (Auto box).

I was thinking maybe its the track rod ends gone stiff, but given the MOT guys just passed it, I'm struggling other than thinking its the steering box or swivel housing or possibly duff bushes on the panhard.

Second question (and it may be linked), I noticed the Steering pump pulley can be moved in and out about 12-15mm, never had to replace one on the disco before so don't know if that's normal?

Can anyone advise; hoping the more experienced will know exactly what's causing this.

Had the Disco for 6 years and love her - but shes doing my head in with this problem!

Cheers for help in advance... Jason