1993 RRC Door Locks won't turn

DEXT

I recently picked up a '93 RRC LWB. Although the keys work fine in the ignition and in the rear liftgate, the keys won't turn at all in the driver or passenger front doors (I received 2 keys and both have the same issue). The FOB works occasionally and one trip through the liftgate to open the doors was enough to tell me it was not a reliable way to lock\unlock the doors. I am planning to pull the door panels to perform cleaning & lube, but wanted to check to see if anyone has had experience where the keys just won't turn at all. I've read several posts on weak actuators or dirty components, but haven't seen anything on locks that won't turn. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I have had to remove my locks for various reasons - not turning at all would imply that the locks have differant lock barrels to the ignition?

The mechanical actuators are mind numbingly complicated and are heavy to move due to short linkage arms (lack of turning torque) but if the keys match the lock barrels you should be able to get at leastv 15% turn even if the linkage is completly seized due to general wear in the various link arms.

Be carefull though as the lock barrels have plastic fittings on the end (cams) that operate the linkages and if they break are impossible to replace new without buying a complete lock assembly.

Suggest panel removal to have a look - mine had a differant O/S lock barrel fitted which is why i think is your problem.

I have had to remove my locks for various reasons - not turning at all would imply that the locks have differant lock barrels to the ignition?

The mechanical actuators are mind numbingly complicated and are heavy to move due to short linkage arms (lack of turning torque) but if the keys match the lock barrels you should be able to get at leastv 15% turn even if the linkage is completly seized due to general wear in the various link arms.

Be carefull though as the lock barrels have plastic fittings on the end (cams) that operate the linkages and if they break are impossible to replace new without buying a complete lock assembly.

Suggest panel removal to have a look - mine had a differant O/S lock barrel fitted which is why i think is your problem.

Thanks! I'll pull the door panels and have a look this weekend. It may be that the previous owner had the ignition replaced without re-keying the doors. I appreciate your insight.