LT230 on a NAS Disco I 1995

wolfieroc

Question is first from what I have been able to find the transfer case on a 1995 Discovery I in the US is a LT230 is that correct? If so is the transfer case the same for a standard as it is for an automatic? I suspect there is some differences but would like some input from someone with some more knowledge in this area.

LT230's come in a number of different ratio's depending on the vehicle and the engine it was fitted to - 1:1, 1:1.222, 1:1.4, 1:1.6..

You don't say if you have a TDI or a v8 Petrol disco. A TDI should be a 1.222 if it's a manual, but I don't know if that changes for petrol or auto....

There should be a sticker on the back of the box which tells you which ratio it is...

The only other option for an Auto would be a Borg Warner transfer box. These do not have a separate difflock, so you should be able to tell by the hi/lo range lever.

LT230's come in a number of different ratio's depending on the vehicle and the engine it was fitted to - 1:1, 1:1.222, 1:1.4, 1:1.6..

You don't say if you have a TDI or a v8 Petrol disco. A TDI should be a 1.222 if it's a manual, but I don't know if that changes for petrol or auto....

There should be a sticker on the back of the box which tells you which ratio it is...

The only other option for an Auto would be a Borg Warner transfer box. These do not have a separate difflock, so you should be able to tell by the hi/lo range lever.

Thanks Mark, it is a petrol V8 and it is something I may be buying to harvest the axles, steering, suspension etc for a conversion project and was hoping to be able to use the transfer case with a R380.

The Discovery Auto TDi is also 1.222:1. As far as I know the actual boxes are the same between manual and auto, At least I hope so as I have 1.4:1 from a manual defender to go into my Auto discovery (IIRC the linkages need repositioning).

Not that helps much as I have no idea about V8's

Pete.

Pete, the boxes are the same - to fit a defender on you will need to swap over the Hi/Lo lever shaft - at least that's all I did...

Wolfierec, sounds like it should just bolt straight on if you are going into a disco or a rangie....

enjoy

Pete, the boxes are the same - to fit a defender on you will need to swap over the Hi/Lo lever shaft - at least that's all I did...

Cheers Mark, I have a feeling you have told me that before :rolleyes: . All I need to do is find a gap in the weather and get a couple of bits from Ashcrofts and I'll find out :ph34r: .

Pete.

Wolfierec, sounds like it should just bolt straight on if you are going into a disco or a rangie....

enjoy

Well either way I will get the transfer case with the rolling chassis and if worst comes to worst I will sell/trade it as the vehicle only has 77K on it so it "should" be in good shape. Thanks to all you guys for the input.