Power Steering Box

enduro1972uk

If you're handy with spanners, you should be able to do it easily in a few hours, whilst doing it, i would advise getting a brand new box made by adwest, from somewhere like craddocks.... i had 3 recon box's leak on me within a few hundred miles of fitting them....... the moral of the story is, buy new, not recon, cos it's a con!

Hi there, my power steering box is leaking on my disco, how big a job is it to change it? Obviously it will need doing but i would like to have a rough time plan so i can get it done on my days off.

Also any hints or tips would be kindly appreciated.

You could check one of the questions I asked recently on this forum (Bought Used Steering Box - is it OK?), there are a few answers in there that might be helpful to you.

Ive got a used one I bought off ebay that Im going to risk, I'll replace the top & bottom seals before fitting.

If its a leaker I'll get a new one but it was cheap enough to risk it, nothing ventured and all that.

Sime

ref power steering box did this job last year on my disco took me roughly 4hrs with disco on axle stands easy enough to do just awkward because of the size and weight of the steering box mainly 17/19mm spanners steering box bolts. 13mm steering linkage bolt under bonnet also 16mm spanner for one of the top fluid hoses just take your time. but i done what disco-ron said brought new box complete with drop arm fitted (pig of a job to get off ) when ordering just look at the drop arm on your box it will be straight or bent. I brought mine from craddocks £250 exchange also dont forget new power steering fluid with disco on level ground and to bleed system afterwards by undoing the bleed nipple on top of the box fill resivior start engine turn the wheels left to right lock few times check level tighten nipple clean up check for leaks hope this as been helpfull