My Freelander just stops whilst driving

dutchy_brit

I have a beautiful Freelander 1.8, R reg., petrol, which whilst driving it starts to hick-up and then decides to come to a stand still. I can start it right away and it will drive for a couple of hundred meters and then does it again. One day it stopped 6 times when I decided to call the AA.

We have done the obvious: clean fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, cleaned the petrol inlet which caused a vacuum. The guy that serviced it had it taken to a Landrover garage but they couldn't find anything. Also, typical, when he drove it -long distance - nothing happened. It's not that I am a female driver, it also does it when my hubby drives it.

The AA man came up with a possible (!) airvalve fault and was otherwise baffled.

Could it have something to do with the starter system? The alarm just goes of for no apparent reason. It's so frustrating! And with 3 kids a bit worrying too! Hope someone can help us!!!!!! :(

I have a beautiful Freelander 1.8, R reg., petrol, which whilst driving it starts to hick-up and then decides to come to a stand still. I can start it right away and it will drive for a couple of hundred meters and then does it again. One day it stopped 6 times when I decided to call the AA.

We have done the obvious: clean fuel lines, replaced fuel filter, cleaned the petrol inlet which caused a vacuum. The guy that serviced it had it taken to a Landrover garage but they couldn't find anything. Also, typical, when he drove it -long distance - nothing happened. It's not that I am a female driver, it also does it when my hubby drives it.

The AA man came up with a possible (!) airvalve fault and was otherwise baffled.

Could it have something to do with the starter system? The alarm just goes of for no apparent reason. It's so frustrating! And with 3 kids a bit worrying too! Hope someone can help us!!!!!! :(

I assume he means the tank breather pipe could be blocked but that would not be intermittent. Is there a rush of air when you take the fuel cape off after you have driven for a while if so this could be worth a nother look

sound like a doggy connection to or doggy fuel pump.

could try cleaning up the fuel pump connectors but there not normally too bad??.

under the rear seat under the black cover plate.

Also worth having a look at the fuel relay there is two relays behind the battery under the ECU (silver metal box) which controls the fuel pump (two black boxes about the size of a cigarette packet ) check these are working properly

• 3 years later...

How did you get on? On my T reg the wiring loom under the carpet below the rear seats had been damaged by the seat post rubbing on them. You couldn't tell as the plastic was OK, but moving the wire allowed the car to run.