300 Tdi pulley bearing failures

Thys

:unsure: Being busy with my Tdi's head repairs, I checked all the rotating components driven by the crankshaft pulley. Great was my surprise to find the main belt idler pulley, mounted in-situ on the timing belt cover, and the main belt tensioner pulley's bearings noisy and with play.

My Disco's got 184 000 km on the odo. Is this normal to have these two bearings failing at this distance and age of 12 years?

• 2 weeks later...
Thys, we change the whole lot every 60k kilometers. We never just change the belt. And if you have a genuine LR crank pulley we change that as well. So my 300Tdi is on its fourth set of bearings now.

Thanks Jim, that I did, but my problem lies with the serpentine water pump/altenator,PS belt idler/tentioner pulley bearings.

The fan belt adjuster pulley bearing is a 6203 like the aircon pulley bearings. Cheap from any spares place. The one that you can't change is the one in the timing cover. (Although I have known someone who did it, but he had all the equipment.

:unsure: Being busy with my Tdi's head repairs, I checked all the rotating components driven by the crankshaft pulley. Great was my surprise to find the main belt idler pulley, mounted in-situ on the timing belt cover, and the main belt tensioner pulley's bearings noisy and with play.

My Disco's got 184 000 km on the odo. Is this normal to have these two bearings failing at this distance and age of 12 years?

The serpentine alternator belt tensioner bearing is very prone to failure. It is often the fault which produces the well-known 'canary under the bonnet' scenario. New bearings are cheap to buy of Ebay - about £4 iirc.

Poor design though......................................... :angry:

The fan belt adjuster pulley bearing is a 6203 like the aircon pulley bearings. Cheap from any spares place. The one that you can't change is the one in the timing cover. (Although I have known someone who did it, but he had all the equipment.

Thanks Les, see my new post on the conclusion of my Tdi's head gasket replacement.

The serpentine alternator belt tensioner bearing is very prone to failure. It is often the fault which produces the well-known 'canary under the bonnet' scenario. New bearings are cheap to buy of Ebay - about £4 iirc.

Poor design though......................................... :angry:

Thebiglad,

I must agree with you on the poor design statement, some features on the Tdi leaves me totally baffled, especially for an off-road vehicle, but I will not trade her for a TD5, or any other later Discovery. It still is a great vehicle to own and drive, and maintain, even if you battle your backside off in the beginning, but as you get to know the tricks, things return to normal, and again, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, that is the magic of the Forum, it is a bottomless pit of information, suggestions, good humor, and companionship.

Thebiglad,

I must agree with you on the poor design statement, some features on the Tdi leaves me totally baffled, especially for an off-road vehicle, but I will not trade her for a TD5, or any other later Discovery. It still is a great vehicle to own and drive, and maintain, even if you battle your backside off in the beginning, but as you get to know the tricks, things return to normal, and again, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, that is the magic of the Forum, it is a bottomless pit of information, suggestions, good humor, and companionship.

Couldn't agree more Thys, we have two Discos and I love'em both, for different reasons, the TDI 200 for it's sense of being able to take you anywhere, unstoppable - the engine just goes and goes plus 36mpg!! and the Tdi 300 auto for it's comfort, relative speed and still 33mpg. They're just great vehicles - occasionally let down by really stupid little things.

The forum has been absolutely great for me, only being into Landys for the last 3yrs or so. Done more mechanicking in that time than the rest of my life, with the support of all here - just great guys, thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Cheers

Dave