Problem with new water pump

I've just fitted a new waterpump on my 200tdi as the old one was leaking. Its all fitted nicely now and not a single leak but after about 300 miles of use there is suddenly an awfull noise comming from the engine. The noise is as if somthing mettle is being banged against the inside of the engine in time with the revs.

I took the belts off the front and ran the engine again and it was all quiet. I spun the water pump, power steering pump and alt by hand and they were all silent too. Then as soon as I but the belts back on the horrible noise again. I drove the 50miles home and the noise seems to be worse.

I've attributed the noise to the pump becuase the noise stopped when the pump was disconected but I have no idea what is wrong really.

Any ideas please? I have several trips up and down from here to a village 50 miles away to make due to a death in the family and really dont want my landrover to fail on me now :(

Some things to check/do

1. Check the fan is not hitting something; also, take off the fan and do a test

2. Check the pulley on the water pump is well tighten (maybe loose bolts or the bolts are too long)

3. Check the bolt on the main pulley (crackshaft)

4. Try to find a string or a shorter belt to drive only the water pump; same for steering pump (I suppose you tested with the alternator belt off)

5. Check other things you dismantled/replaced before/when/after the water pump if any.

Thanks. already done some of those, will do the others today. I'm really hope I can reproduce the noise and prove its the pump or I could have some serious problems which as you know is a pain out here with the lack of parts available :-(

All sorted, I feel dumb becuase it was just the 3 pully securing bolts that had come loose. It wasnt so easy to spot last night at 3am in the middle of the hysteria of a family death.

Thanks Cipx for putting my feet back on the ground and making me spot the obvious. Much apreciated