Power Steering

s2hotdog

My power steering has leaked - looks like the pipes - but not on the pressurised side

I've not had chance to have a proper look yet

I completed in a trial and challenge at Slindon a couple of weeks ago - always hard on a car and was away skiing last week

Anyway I managed to get well and truly stuck and could not move the steering at all at one point.

After this the steering was working fine though

I washed the car a put it in the garage that night

Later in the week I had a look at it to find a pool of hydraulic oil under the car - it appeared to be coming from the larger pipe from the hose from reservoir to pump from both hoses

But does not appear to have split - the hoses are only held on with jubilee clips - and it’s not leaked anymore and the power steering seems to work fine

So anybody got an idea whets happened ? - is there a major problem ?

Any input would be appreciated

Steve

Big hose held on with jubbly clips should be the return (low/no pressure), some stock hydro hose and some new jubblies should sort that for no money. Unless some clown's put an uncrimped hose on the high pressure side :o in which case it's surprising it's not peed all the oil out before.

Are you sure it is leaking from the hose?

If it was working really hard it may have boiled the fluid. If it did then it will froth up and overflow the reservoir and run everywhere.

If the fluid is old then it may have some water in it which will further encourage it to boil.

Now it has cooled and the froth gone it may give no further trouble until you get it worked up again.

Steve

Thanks for the replies

I will have to have a closer look - it appears to have sprayed out rather than boiled - I have recently replaced the pressurised hoses so don't think its that side.

Also Mr Fridge as us say the hose will be as cheap as chips so will replace them and the clips

Thanks

Steve