crank pulley

rocky

Hi, anybody know where i can purchase a crank pulley locking tool for a 300tdi, so i can tighten up the bolt to the correct torque? (or specs to fabricate one) rocky

If youre truck is a manual , as mine is. Top gear, handbrake on, size 10 boot on the brake pedal seemed to work ok. My 1/2 inch drive windy gun was enough to undo the bolt. We used a 3/4 drive torque wrench to do up the bolt afterwards. B)

Rocky, pm me for the specs. I was lucky enough to get one from a garage clearance sale.

The boot on the brake method only works if you don't do the bolt up tight enough. If you get to the correct torque you are liable to break your gearbox.

It means Personal Message. Click on Jim's username to send a PM.

The gearbox won't brake. The clutch will start slipping or the bolt will shear before that.

An R380 can take 380 Nm of engine torque, hence it's name. But that's dynamic engine torque and the value is safe enough for a long GB life. So it can easily take twice as that when the load is static.

The initial torque on the bolt is 80 Nm. Another 90 degrees might mean three times more torque.

I used the hand brake plus chokes on the wheels plus a 1 m breaker bar for both doing and undoing the bolt and all went fine and smooth. Some marks on the bolt and the pulley (to know when you reach the 90 degrees after the initial 80Nm) will help.