Advice on RRC LSE

JourneyMan

Hi All,

New to this forum.

Looking round for a Range Rover LSE and have heard something about the 4.2 engine being problematic and its something to do with fueling mixture and what Land Rover did to get the engine through US emissions controls resulting in liner problems in higher mileage engines.

Any of it true or is it another urban myth????

Anything to look out for, tell tales signs etc.

Thanks in advance.

I've had five Lse's and I have had one 150k one with low compression but its was down to a gasket.

Ive had three with gaskets issues but all due the hose or radiator failure <_<

I like the 4.2 I was under the impression its more reliable that the 4.0lt and the 4.6lt but too expensive to produce.

they did have some hefty recalls with the first service having piston swaps or something along these lines but it was not public knowledge

I've had five Lse's and I have had one 150k one with low compression but its was down to a gasket.

Ive had three with gaskets issues but all due the hose or radiator failure <_<

I like the 4.2 I was under the impression its more reliable that the 4.0lt and the 4.6lt but too expensive to produce.

they did have some hefty recalls with the first service having piston swaps or something along these lines but it was not public knowledge

Having owned 3.5, 3.9, 4.2 and 4.6, I think my favourite engine is the 4.2. Mine reached 147,000 before I retired it to the "to be restored when I have the time to do it properly" park. It was feeling it's age by then, cam shaft wear I think.

Still love it and I'll look at it one day...

Andy

Having owned 3.5, 3.9, 4.2 and 4.6, I think my favourite engine is the 4.2. Mine reached 147,000 before I retired it to the "to be restored when I have the time to do it properly" park. It was feeling it's age by then, cam shaft wear I think.

Still love it and I'll look at it one day...

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. You say camshaft wear, is this just noise on start up, the tappety sound you get if the engines worn??? to be honest not really heard a ropey sounding V8 RRC on my search, looked at 4 so far and it always seems the same old story....rot on the door frames and a/b/c/d post that doesn't make them an interesting prospect.

I suppose the only real way to check is a blow by compression test?

Thanks

Mark

I like them and there much quicker than the 3.9 or 4.0lt

the rear glass is no longer available so don't damage one or your insurance company will try to write it off.

Check the electric

Cruse control can go.

Seats can fail as well but 99% of parts are very easy to get second had with people braking normal classics

Rear props are longer

y section of the exhaust takes up the extra length

Rear doors are the longer body and roof obviously

front props are very expensive to replace unless you remove the cats.

otherwise apart from the 4.2 and beefed up gear box there the same as a normal classic

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. You say camshaft wear, is this just noise on start up, the tappety sound you get if the engines worn??? to be honest not really heard a ropey sounding V8 RRC on my search, looked at 4 so far and it always seems the same old story....rot on the door frames and a/b/c/d post that doesn't make them an interesting prospect.

I suppose the only real way to check is a blow by compression test?

Thanks

Mark

I'm only guessing at cam shaft wear, I haven't really looked.

No obvious signs, no tapping (but there might not be with hydraulic lifters anyway), just a gradual loss of performance as the miles built up, similar to what I had on a 3.5 years ago that an expert dealer pronounced as camshaft wear. Worn lobes and thus lack of lift I assume. I sold that one without looking at the camshaft (traded it in to a dealer actually)

This one I intend to take a look at one day!

Cheers,

Andy