Is it a bad earth

was adding in a extra fuel gauge the other day, for the new extra tank, only got so far when I realaised that I did not have enough time to get it sorted before I went away. All the rest is great, drove from Calais to Tignes (france) on one and a half fill ups... Anyhow I have a strange electrical glitch?

When I put my key in the ignition and turn it to any postion my rear side lights come on? Sometimes (not all) the front side lights come on quites low, and when I toutch the break they get brighter (like the rear ones do). Also when I just turn the side lights on (with no key in) the whole dash acts like it been turned to postion 1 on the ignition?

Sounds weird eah? And its a 07 model

anyone had such a glitch before?

Can't be sure but it sounds like you might have connected the back of the gauge incorrectly.

I presume you have a 'dash lights on feed', earth and a feed from the tank sender.

If you disconnect the guage completely does it cure the lights/dash problem?

I also assume the sender gets its power from an ignition controled feed and has its own earth.

The best way to resolve will be to disconnect the gauge first then just connect the lights on and earth to make sure that isn't affecting the lights etc.

If you still have a problem disconnet the sender and see if that cures it.

If neither of these works you may have trapped or snagged a wire when refitting the dash?

Sorry if this is teaching egg sucking.

Steve

Can't be sure but it sounds like you might have connected the back of the gauge incorrectly.

I presume you have a 'dash lights on feed', earth and a feed from the tank sender.

If you disconnect the guage completely does it cure the lights/dash problem?

I also assume the sender gets its power from an ignition controled feed and has its own earth.

The best way to resolve will be to disconnect the gauge first then just connect the lights on and earth to make sure that isn't affecting the lights etc.

If you still have a problem disconnet the sender and see if that cures it.

If neither of these works you may have trapped or snagged a wire when refitting the dash?

Sorry if this is teaching egg sucking.

Steve

Hey no worries, these are all logical good points and well made, thanks. Step one was taking out what I did. Not got as far as fitting the new gauge in yet, just got the extra tank and pump working with a sender in, also got a little problem of where to put this extra gauge as the new defender dash has not much space.

It would be a shame to spoil the dash by cutting holes in it and the Mud Pod won't work.

I can't see from the Land Rover website what the 07 cubby box. transmission tunnel looks like. Maybe you could make up a bracket to mount the gauge down between the transmission and the cubby? Either that or one of those pods the Subaru/Evo oiks use.

That's what you get for buying a properly designed interior, no DIY!

Shame the InfinteQ EMS doesn't do fluid level (only empty or full) as this would give you lots of instruments in one.

Brodit already have a couple of mount options for accessories ( www.brodit.com ) for the new Defender.

One of these might take a gauge pod?

Had a check and they are all a bit 'whack', maybe one will work for the Ipod but I guess thery are a bit too plastic, just like the dash of the new defender...

I already have a few holes in the dash already as I have added some bits, think im gonna have to make something.

ok, taken out the wiring I put it and I still have this weird glitch.

The glitch is:

turn the key to postion 1 / 2 or start the motor, sometimesjust therear sidelights are on, sometimes the rear and the front side lights are on, and the front lights are very low, and when I brake they get brighter (like the rear lights would). When I turn the side lights on, they work fine and dandy??????

I know when it happened, last week I was in the in knee deep powder in france, I drove the landy over a snow drift to park it, then did it again just for fun, anyhow, snow got right up inside the undercarrage. Later that week I noticed the glitch.

Now today I went somewhere a left the landy for the day, came back, no glitch until I used my side lights?

Could it be damp? Could it be the wiring on the rear lights shorting something?