Newbie Query

gooner

Firstly hi to all ,

The car in question is a 1998 1.8exi freelander , i picked it up for my wife on saturday with a friend of mine and whilst driving it home did the usual , listening and feeling thing , but about halfway home my mate rang me to say i had sprayed a little oil over his windscreen , by the time we got home there was a Little oil over the front of his car so i had a peep under the rear end ,

Not knowing anything at all about freelanders apart from the well known problems that can occur i have notiecd what i think is a CV joint seal or driveshaft joint seal which appears to be leaking , if this is what they are called ??????

Anyhow there are two which come out either side of the rear diff and go to each rear wheel , where they meet the diff there is a browny coloured seal type thing , and this is where there appears to be a leak, but it is only a minor one and has only slightly overed the rear underside of my car .

I have topped up the dif oil as no oil = no diff (i think) ,

My question is are these seals (or whatever they are ) replaceable and if so how much of a job and cost are they .

Sorry for the long winded message , i just wanted to try and describe it all as best i could . The rest of the car is tip top and it runs lovely ,

Any help or advice will be greatly apreciated

Dave ;)

I've only rebuilt on Freelander diff but the seals were ok so I can only suggest looking on a Rave CD or going to a dealer parts counter and asking for some to see if there available.

the CV's come out of each side with a little knock.

if the oil is brownie then its contaminated and should be ep80/90 oil which is clear with a yellow colour. Same as normal ep90 in appearance

Yes no oil no diff

its oil, and not the CV gaiters damaged and leaking grease is it.